Wednesday, October 27, 2010

New Job/Trip to Japan

Hello everyone.  How are you?  I am in a new home, in a new city, and getting ready for a new job.  After my last contract finished, I looked at a few options for where to work next.  I had a couple of offers to go to work in Taiwan, one in a small town called Yongin, Korea, and one in Seoul.

Seoul is a cool place to live because it has some areas made for the American army base and there is even a Subway deli which I have not tried yet.  So I asked the owner of the school if I could stay the night in the area to see what it is like at night.   I didn't want to be in an area like my last one where I heard a lot drunk people at night.  He was okay with the idea, so I moved a lot of my stuff from my old apartment via a taxi.

However, that night I heard that the owner was having some problems meeting payroll, so I decided I didn't want to work and not get paid, so I made up my mind to accept the position in Yongin instead.  Then when I was on my way to meet with the people in Yongin, my recruiter tried to convince me that the boss at the school in Seoul had reduced his rent expense by combining the school from four floors to two floors, but that was my last day to get my visa renewed, so I didn't have any time to think about it, so I just went ahead and met with the academy in Yongin, and transferred my visa to them.

That night I had to pay for a hotel around Bucheon, because I wasn't allowed to stay at my old place.  Fortunately I was able to keep my stuff at the apartment provided by the school in Seoul.  I couldn't stay in Yongin because the school was giving housing to the person that I would be replacing, so they didn't have any place available for me.  I thought that this would be better than working for a boss with some maybe some financial blemishes, but after staying in the hotel and realizing I would have to pay for around six more nights I decided to take the risk with the academy in Seoul.

So I called the recruiter for the academy in Seoul, and told him that I decided to work for his client and I wanted to know if I would have to leave the country to get a new visa, and he said no.  Well it turns out I do, but at least my new employer is paying for the trip, so I will go tomorrow morning and spend a couple of days  getting my new visa in Fukuoka, Japan.  I'm really looking forward to having some more Japanese ramen (although I can get some in Seoul). I will put some pictures on here later.

No comments:

Post a Comment